Palestine Liberation Organization
Negotiations Affairs Department
45 years of Israeli Occupation: The Facts
· The 1967 border is the internationally-recognized border between Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territory (OPT).
· The international community does not recognize Israeli sovereignty over any part of the OPT, including East Jerusalem.
· Today there are over half a million illegal settlers throughout the OPT (including occupied East Jerusalem).
· In 2002, Israel began constructing the illegal segregation wall (“The Wall”). The route of the illegal Wall splits the West Bank into several distinct areas and completely isolates occupied East Jerusalem from the rest of the West Bank, as well as expropriating large amounts of Palestinian land and natural resources.
· The Advisory Opinion of the International Court of Justice, rendered on 9 July 2004 deemed the Wall illegal and stated that the Wall, along with the illegal settlement regime, amounted to de facto annexation of the OPT, which is illegal under international law.
· The total length of the Wall (as approved on 30 April 2006) is 711 km. This is more than twice the 320 km length of the 1967 border.
· The Israeli military has destroyed an estimated 25,482 homes in the OPT since 1967 (ICAHD), including over 3,000 homes in occupied East Jerusalem.
· According to recent UN reports, a record number of Palestinians were displaced as a result of home demolitions in 2011. More than 1000 Palestinians in the OPT (including East Jerusalem) lost their homes, double the number from the previous year and the highest number since 2005.
· 3.7 million Palestinians from the remainder of the OPT are denied entry to occupied East Jerusalem without Israeli-issued permits.
· Since 1967, Israel has restricted Palestinian urban development and infrastructure to 13%, implanted at least 200,000 Israeli settlers in occupied East Jerusalem, blocking 87% of the occupied City to illegal settlement construction and Israeli-only parks and so-called 'green zones’
· Since 1967, over 14000 Jerusalemites have had their residency permits revoked.
· Over 1.2 million Palestinian olive trees have been uprooted by Israeli occupation forces since 1967.
· Israel has imprisoned 800000 Palestinians since 1967, including 70,000 in the last 10 years. As of January 2011, there were 6000 administrative detainees, i.e. persons held in Israeli custody indefinitely without charge, many times on secret evidence, including 225 children and 39 women.
· In 2010, the total cost of occupation to the Palestinian economy was $6,896,849,000, a staggering 84.9% of GDP.